(iv) Customer friendly
(v) Quality driven
(vi) Professionalism and Ethical Conduct
(vii) Value for Money
(viii) Gender Sensitive
(ix) Environmental Friendly
The Ministry of Works mandates were given in November 2010 to cater the following areas:
• Construction Policies and their implementation.
• Mechanical Matters.
• Government Buildings.
• Public Works.
• Engineering and Design Works.
• Materials Laboratory.
• Performance Improvement and Development of Human Resources under this Ministry.
• Safety and Environment.
• Extra-Ministerial Departments, Parastatal Organisations, Agencies, Programmes and Projects under this Ministry.
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
As stipulated in the Government Instrument; the roles and functions of the Ministry of Works are:
• Formulation of policies, plans and strategies towards development, upgrading and Management of the Construction Sector covering short, medium and long term.
• Setting standards and Monitoring of quality compliance in Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Monitoring & Supervision of Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Supervision and Monitoring of preliminary and detailed designs of Trunk and Regional Roads.
• Plants, Ferries, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning systems, and electronic equipments.
• Monitoring, supervision and coordination of various activities of Agencies/Parastatals, Boards and Institutions which are under the Ministry of Works.
• Sourcing of internal and external funds for financing of various projects under the Ministry.
• Supervision of axle load control and transport safety.
• Human Resources development for Ministry’s Employees at all levels.
A. HIV/AIDS infections reduced and services improved.
B. Enhance and sustain effective implementation of the National Anti-corruption strategy.
C. Policies, legislations and strategies harmonized and developed.
D. Management Information System developed and implemented.
E. Improved working environment and capacity building for service delivery.
F. Systems for quality management, monitoring and evaluation improved.
G. Management and accountability of resources improved.
H. Reforms in the Ministry and its institutions facilitated and implemented.
I. Programmes for infrastructure development and maintenance implemented.
J. Facilitation of safety, security and environmental protection systems undertaken for development of infrastructure.
K. Studies and research areas identified and facilitated.